usa life blog america living tips

Small Talk Culture in the USA

In most parts of the U.S.A., small talk is a common thing that Americans do when they are interacting with a stranger. In other parts of the world, this does not come naturally because it is not in the culture to do so. This article below will be discussing some common examples of how to deal with the small talk culture in the United States of America.

The list will be constantly updated.

Table of Contents

When a stranger comes into the elevator

When a stranger comes into the elevator and you are near the only spot to press the floors, you would ask that person “what floor?” In some countries, people leave it up to the other person to press the button, but it usually would be socially inappropriate to not ask the other person which level they are going to in the U.S.A.

After leaving a conversation with anyone in the U.S.A.

After you leave a conversation with someone in the U.S.A., the last thing you would say to that person would usually be “Have a good one” (which just means have a good day), “Have a good day,” “Have a goodnight,” “Take care” or something similar.

When someone says “How are you doing?”

When someone says “How are you doing?” in the U.S.A., it usually just means “Hello” and you just need to say something similar to “Great” or “Pretty good” and then just add “How are you?” back to them. Sometimes people will say “could be better” but it is not as common. You aren’t really supposed to give a long response because most of the time it is not actually a question but a simple hello.




Academic Students (F1 visa)

Vocational Students (M1 visa)

Students, Research Scholars, Professors, Exchange Visitors, Interns, Trainees, Foreign Medical Doctors (J1 visa)


Tourists (B2 visa)

Tourists Using ESTA (VWP visa, Visa Waiver Program)


Immigrant Visas (Green Card)

Extraordinary Ability in the Science, Art, Education, Business, Athletic field (EB1a Employment Based Green Card)

Outstanding Professors and Researchers (EB1b Employment Based Green Card)

Multinational Manager and Executive (EB1c Employment Based Green Card)

Advanced Degree or Exceptional Ability Worker (EB2 Employment Based Green Card)

Professional Workers, Skilled Workers and Other Unskilled Labor Workers (EB2 Employment Based Green Card )

Religious Workers and Special Immigrants (EB4 Employment Based Green Card)

Business Owner and Investors (EB5 Employment Based Green Card)

Nonimmigrant Visas (Temporary Visas)

Workers in Various Fields:

Temporary Business and Tourism Visitor (B1 visa & B2 visa)

Extraordinary Ability in the Science, Education, Business and Athletics field (O1A visa)

Specialty Occupation Workers (H1B Visa)

Specialty Occupation Workers for Person from Chile or Singapore (H1B1 Visa)

Specialty Occupation Workers from Australia (E3 visa)

Professional Workers from Canada and Mexico (TN Visa)

Specialized Knowledge Transferee (L1B Visa)

Temporary Skilled and Unskilled Workers (H2B Visa)

Trainees and Special Education Exchange Visitor (H3 Visa)

Business Owners or Workers in Business Related Fields:

Manager and Executive Transferee (L1A Visa)

Treaty Traders or Their Employees (E1 visa)

Treaty Investors or Their Employees (E2 visa)

Workers in Art (Entertainment) or Athletic Related Fields:

Fashion Models (H1B3 Visa)

Extraordinary ability in the Arts and Extraordinary Achievements in Motion Pictures and Television (O1B visa)

Essential Support Staff for O1B Workers (O2 visa)

Internationally Recognized Entertainment Group (P1B visa)

Reciprocal Exchange Program (P2 visa)

Culturally Unique Program (P3 visa)

Internationally Recognized Athlete (P1A visa)

Essential Support Staff for P Visa Workers (P1S/P2S/P3S visa)

Workers in Other Specific Fields:

Temporary Religious Worker (R1 visa)

Agricultural Workers (H2A Visa)

U.S. Department of Defense Workers (H1B2 Visa)


Immigrant Visas (Green Card)

Family of U.S. Green Card Holder:

Marriage to U.S. Green Card Holder (F2A Marriage Based Green Card)

Unmarried Adult Child of Green Card Holder (F2B Family Based Green Card)

Family of U.S. Citizen:

Marriage to U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1 Marriage Based Green Card)

Unmarried Adult Child of U.S. Citizen (F1 Family Based Green Card)

Married Children of U.S. Citizen (F3 Family Based Green Card)

Brother or Sister of U.S. Citizen (F4 Family Based Green Card)

Parents of U.S. Citizen (F5 Family Based Green Card)

Widow(er) of Deceased U.S. Citizen (EB4 Family Based Green Card)

Nonimmigrant Visas (Temporary Visas)

Foreign Fiance(e) (K1 visa)

Foreign Spouse (K3 visa)

Dependent Children of Foreign Fiance(e) (K2 visa)

Dependent Children of Foreign Spouse (K4 visa)